Member Introductions

Welcome new members! Please introduce yourself. Be as brief or as detailed as you wish.

Who are you and where are you from?

What do you play?

What music inspires you?

What is your favorite food?

I suppose I should go first and set an example

David Erato from Wisconsin

What do you play?
All saxophones, clarinets, flutes, and bassoon

What music inspires you?
For years, big band music has been my jam. Technical sax solis, rich harmony, but also room for creative improvisation. One inspiration that lead me to music as a career was the soundtrack from the Broadway show Blast!, who stopped in Milwaukee just as I was entering my senior year of high school.

Anything Italian.

1 Like

Who am I and where am I from?
Albert Abena - grew up in San Francisco, lived in Milwaukee for 27 years, and recently relocated to Portland, Maine.

What do you play?
Saxes, clarinets, flutes, bassoon, percussion.

What music inspires you?
Music from performers who are into their craft, be it classical, jazz, country - whatever. I love a melody, and am thrilled by that one perfect note that is occasionally heard. Less is more.

Same as my favorite beverage - whatever’s in front of me!

1 Like

Lynn Lewandowski, Milwaukee, WI

What do you play?
Piccolo, Flute, Bb Clarinet, SATB Saxophone, Bassoon

What music inspires you?
I like Big Band and Pit Orchestra, but the great tenor stylists ( Brecker, Berg…) are the players I love to listen to. I do make it a point to re-visit my musical home - Classical Alto - on a regular basis.

Indian food!!!

1 Like

Sara Kilpatrick from Wisconsin

What do you play?
All saxes, clarinet, and flute.

What music inspires you?
My recent inspirations are Brasstracks, Jacob Collier, and Snarky Puppy.

Tacos

1 Like

Paul Furlong - Buffalo NY

What do you play?
oboe, English horn, bassoon, contrabasson
What music inspires you?
Baroque

most anything with tomato sauce

1 Like

Howdy from Georgia!
Pardon me if I don’t use or follow the prescribed format. :slight_smile:

I’m from Florida, came to Georgia for college after a stint in the military and decided to stay here.

I play the saxophone and currently have a Tenor, Alto and Baritone Saxophone.

1 Like

I’m Dylan, from SE Wisconsin.

I play alto saxophone mainly, bari sax, clarinet.

I like listening to 'new to me music. Even my favorite tunes get tired after a while so I like hearing suggestions. Currently listening to vulfpeck, fearless flyers, moonchild, snarky puppy, others. That or old/modern big band and all types of jazz.

I’m on a new lifestyle kick eating healthier, so anything that tastes great and makes me feel good. And kopps custard.

2 Likes

Hi I’m from Bristol in England .
I play a Bass Clarinet, and play in a wind band we have great fun doing concerts, and at rehearsals which have been put on hold due to corona virus.
We have just this week returned to rehearsing.

I am a late starter being a 72 year old great grandmother I have been playing a year and really enjoying it
Learning all the time.

3 Likes

What a great story! Thank you for being here.

Hi, I’m Larry and I’m an instrument a holic. I currently play half a dozen instruments including clarinet and recorder.
I’m 53 years young, I live in England and have never had a music lesson. I am late to learning to read music and I grew up playing by ear, on keyboards. Its only recently that I got interested in woodwinds, beginning with recorder in 2016. My partner bought me a cheap but very good clarinet in 2017 and I’m just getting to grips with it. I had periods when I just didn’t play at all. I got despondent and a bit tired of not knowing what was a good reed. I then got a Legere synthetic reed last year and its like the clarinet is a totally different instrument. The reed was expensive but so worth it.
I’m still struggling with my embouchure but I think I’m getting better.
I tried flute for a while when a friend gave me an old one as a swap for an ocarina I’d bought. But I finally gave up the fight with the flute and am now focussing on clarinet and recorder. I especially love the tenor recorder and would like a bass too…
As I said I’m an instrument a holic and want to try as many different instruments as I possibly can. Would love to try a brass instrument…

2 Likes

I’m Pete Kaiser, from Evansville, IN - a lifer, not counting my time at IU Bloomington (BME saxophone, '05).

What do you play?

I’ve gotten the chance to perform at least once on nearly every standard band instrument except oboe, English horn, and horn… Started on alto sax in 5th grade, and began adding others in high school for various purposes (musical theatre pit ensembles, orchestra, etc). My last gig was as a “musicteller” with the now-defunct Tales & Scales (budget problems with the parent organization) on clarinet and alto sax. I haven’t performed for a while, but I like to keep up with things in the music world, and I still would like to open my own studio someday.

What music inspires you?

I love musical theatre stuff, and have had it in my ears a lot the past few years in particular… I’ve also been involved in local theatre organizations on stage a few times, and have enjoyed getting to sing + act (though I miss being in pit orchestras too). I’m also slowly working my way through the Shostakovich symphonies, and I love big band-era and Romantic music especially.

Right now Thai tops the list, but I also love Indian, Italian, and Tex-Mex… not necessarily in that order.

1 Like

Sean from Calgary Canada!

What do you play?

I play clarinet, drums and percussion, guitar, bass, and some piano.

What music inspires you?

Contemporary music is my favorite, and film music. My favorite band is Radiohead.

Honestly my favorite food is probably nachos with great toppings. I love Indian food as well though. Amazing flavors.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Christina from California/SF Bay Area. I’m originally from NJ.

What do you play?
I play Bb Clarinet, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Bass Clarinet, and Sop Sax.

What music inspires you?
Most music really. I really like classic wind ensemble/band music, musical show music (pit), most orchestral. I listen to almost anything on the radio.

French fries and pizza.

1 Like

I’m Alex Mortensen and I’m from Oconomowoc, Wisconsin but I’m in college in Bloomington, Indiana!

What do you play?
I play oboe, English horn, saxophone, flute, clarinet, and piano.

What music inspires you?
Rap and hip hop music inspires me. The approach artists within the genre have towards making music and collaboration has really impacted me!

I love peanut butter!

1 Like

Sandy from Wisconsin

What do you play?
Flute, piccolo, alto flute, piano and organ

What music inspires you?
Symphonic band/orchestra music and Sacred music.
I enjoy playing in a local college band and flute choir as a community member, and also for special music at church.
I played in high school and went back to it after retiring early.

pizza

1 Like

Sai Iyer from Melbourne, Australia

What do you play?
Bassoon, guitar, keys, uke, and vocals.

What music inspires you?
Quite a lot; depends on my mood, but primarily jazz and hip-hop. I listen to a lot of stuff, but I want to extend my taste more than a couple decades back.

Can’t go wrong with a good buttered toast :smiley:

1 Like

Hi all. Great idea for this woodwind forum. I am Ian Digby and I repair woodwinds. I live on the Isle of Wight, UK, and am a professional member of NAMIR.