Share your interesting music trivia!

I thought it might be fun for us to have a thread to share interesting trivia or fun facts. It blew my mind last year when I found out that the high pitched sound in the song “Jump Around” by House of Pain was actually a sample of an altissimo high A played by Junior Walker on the song “Shoot your Shot”

Shoot your Shot

3 Likes

That’s amazing. I hope his estate was paid for that.

One of the first things I can think of is Adolfe Sax having an involvement in developing the bass clarinet. Digging deeper, it turns out it was a miracle he survived long enough to make an impact in the world. Given how many times he almost died as a child, and then the pressure his industry rivals put on him.

Others include hearing/seeing greats, when you only associate with their solo career. Like Ernie Watts recorded the great Night Court theme. Michael Brecker on Candy. Also Brecker the back of this classic SNL sketch.

Eddie Daniel’s life changing clarinet solo that he wasn’t supposed to take on the live recording of The Little Pixie with the Thad Jones/Mel Lews big band is also a great story. He doesn’t take that solo he might not have become the clarinet soloist we know today.

The Yamaha NS10 speaker was a small, relatively inexpensive, not-so-good-sounding speaker that somehow became a staple in recording studios in the late '70s and '80s. It’s characteristic white speaker cone could be spotted on mixing board meter bridges in many major recording studios.

The idea was that this speaker of marginal quality sounded more like typical consumer playback equipment than the high end, multi thousand dollar speaker installations found in the same control rooms. In theory if a mix sounded good on the NS10s, it would sound good on your boom box or home stereo.

Because of their small size, the NS10 lacked the ability to produce frequencies below 200 Hz in sufficient amounts. Engineers would often compensate for this by increasing the bass in their mixes, The inexpensive, lowly NS10 speaker is in part responsible for the ubiquitous, bass heavy mixes that dominate pop music today.